In late March 2020, the Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford and the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford established the Jewish Hartford Rapid Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) to address urgent community needs in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of the RRRF is to provide financial and human resources to:
- Help our community partners deliver kosher meals to the hungry and homebound and basic hygiene items to those in need, provide behavioral health counseling for our neighbors in crisis, and alleviate social isolation in homebound seniors
- Supply emergency financial assistance for basic needs and vital social services to individuals and families affected by COVID-19
- Provide emergency operating support to local Jewish institutions negatively impacted by COVID-19
The Foundation and Federation seeded the RRRF with an initial contribution of $150,000 from existing resources. Between March and November 2020, nearly 500 generous community members contributed more than $800,000 – growing the RRR Fund to nearly $1 million. We are pleased to report the following grants:
- $285,000 to 11 local Jewish agencies for emergency operating support, PPE, and need-based day school scholarships related to COVID-19
- $227,000 to 17 local synagogues for unanticipated COVID-19 related High Holy Day expenses, operating support, and PPE
- $88,280 for local humanitarian assistance in the form of emergency food assistance, individual and family financial assistance, and PPE
Of the remaining resources, the RRR Fund’s Grants Committee has earmarked $40,000 for unanticipated community needs and $137,000 for future humanitarian needs. $175,000 was designated by major donors to establish the Jewish Free Loan Fund of Greater Hartford. The Foundation and Federation are humbled by the generosity of our local Jewish community and honored to serve you.
- Click here for a full report of grants, reserves, and designated gifts.
- Click here to read words of gratitude from community members.
Jewish Hartford Rapid Relief and Recovery Fund Leadership
Dana Keller and Bruce Fischman, Fund Development Cabinet Co-Chairs
David Rosenthal and Sid Ulreich, Grants Committee Co-Chairs
Gayle Temkin, Chair, Board of Trustees, Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford
Leigh Newman, Board of Trustees, Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford
Carolyn Gitlin, Chair, Board of Directors, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford
Jacob Schreiber, President and CEO, Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford
David Waren, President and CEO, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford